Monday, March 19, 2012

Modest Fashion Week

Julia, over at Sometimes Julia Writes? is hosting a modest fashion week, and I'm going to try to participate ("try" meaning I'll do my best to get a post up each day, but I may miss a few). I've never participated in a "themed week" of any sort in blogland, so this should be fun!

Because my camera batteries are dead and I can't find the charger, most of these pictures will probably be from the last couple of weeks. Good thing I have more pictures than I have time to blog about!

Well, I've already missed day 1, but I believe day 2 is supposed to be an outfit that is "so you." That's a great place to start, because we were just talking about that here, a few posts ago, weren't we?

I wore this outfit to church a few weeks ago, and it really couldn't be more "me." I'm wearing something I made - the dress - which is common. I'm wearing bright color "pops," which I love to do because I adore color. I'm wearing a scarf, which is one of a jillion I have. And look - my trusty ballet flats! Even the way I'm wearing my hair is typical for me.

So let's break it down.

Dress - This is made from a very heavy wool-like knit. I've never made anything with that kind of fabric before, but I like it. It is both comfortable and sturdy. It is a bit hot for anything but rather cold weather, though. I made it without a pattern so, sorry, I can't give a pattern number. The skirt is very full 50's style. You can't see the neck very well, but it has ruffles around it, and has a small "keyhole" in the front center. (Nothing too low. :) The sleeves are fitted, elbow length. Cost - $0.00 (fabric was given to me)
Cardigan - You've seen this before on In My Mirror. Gift from my Aunt. LOVE the color. I like that the texture is very different from the dress, which is important in an outfit. When combining or layering pieces, texture is very important. I'm just starting to get the hang of that.
Scarf - Fell in love with this. Got it from Good Will - $1.00. Don't hate me.
I almost didn't wear the cardigan and scarf together, because they are two slightly different shades of purple - a big no-no, right? That's what I thought. But when I held them next to each other on the black background, they just worked. I think the solid, simply background is the key to their mixing.
Shoes - yes, my trusty flats. Wear them all the time! Payless, on sale.
I'm also wearing a bit of jewelry, which is silverish and pearls. And I carried the black purse with the bows that you can just barely see in the edge of the picture. (Also a gift from my aunt; isn't she the greatest?)

I loved this outfit. Not only did it make me happy when I looked in the mirror, but it fit comfortably; no tugging to keep things up or down, no worries about flashing anything. I felt feminine and put together. I wish I had a warm-weather version of this dress!

Hmmm....I might just have to remedy that!

4 comments:

  1. This is super cute!! Purple is a great color on you, and I love the cardi with the dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for joining in Amber! I like wearing black and purple together too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia - thanks! I love looking at your outfits, too. I've been a stalker of yours for a little while now. :)
    Julia - I'm looking forward to the rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your outfit looks so comfortable, but dressy at the same time! =)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you want to join in the talk here at "In My Mirror"! Please remember to keep your remarks polite and appropriate. Comments make my day!